Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Day Three --- Wednesday, March 18

Day three...we got word today that we are officially out until at least April 13th...a whole month away from school during the school year...this is so bizarre.

We started the day with a celebration in Hawk house - the puppies, Gus and Daisy, turned FOUR today! They had a mini-birthday cake (wet food as the 'cake' and dog bones as the 'candles') and we sang 'Happy Birthday' to them. :-)

 Sweet puppies! Those two boys LOVE those two dogs...

Happy birthday, Gus and Daisy!

Celebrating being a part of the EHS family this morning while enjoying my coffee...these times are really tough, but it makes it so much more comforting to know that you have a team standing beside you that will walk with you through the situation, side by side, hand in hand. 

The boys did some school work and played outside and watched a few movies.

I spent a good deal of my day sending and responding to over 125 messages from students. I'm making it a point to directly check in on them every few days throughout this time and am making sure that they know they can reach out to me anytime they need anything. It is so nice to hear from them. Their messages really bring a smile to my face especially when every message was positive. They were thanking me for checking in, asking how my family was doing, and asking for help on assignments.

And then I got sad because a number of them, specifically my seniors, sent me messages about how they wanted this situation to be over and how much they missed being at school, and how bummed/mad they were that they were loosing out on some of their most memorable senior year events.

I'll say it again...this is overwhelming.

It's only day three and I miss my students. I miss their smiles. I miss their humor. I miss hearing their thoughts and helping them work through challenges. I miss seeing them enjoying conversations with their friends. I just miss it.

And as complex, and challenging, and tiring, and overwhelming as a 'normal' school day is for teachers I assure you that we'd take those days over these in a heartbeat.

But, we'll stand tall and make the most of this opportunity because we want the best for our students. They deserve it and we will most certainly deliver.

Take care, my friends.
H