Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A sick little boy...

I thought I heard him wrong. What do you mean you need to admit him? Wait, what is going on? 

I knew deep down that something was different about this round of sickness with RF. He's had the crud a couple of times, but I certainly wasn't thinking that we would be instructed to leave the pediatrician's office and head straight to the hospital. In my mind, we'd get some antibiotics if he had some sort of infection and we would be told to make sure he rests and gets lots of fluids. Being admitted to the hospital wasn't even in my realm of thought. 

Once we arrived and were taken to our room, fear really set in. I was scared (and feeling lots of guilt) on our drive from the doctor's office to the hospital, but seeing a hospital floor dedicated to sick little ones, a hospital machine equipped crib, seeing him be taken to have an IV put in and then be hooked up to machines, was my ultimate nightmare becoming reality. I know that we were coming to the hospital to get him better, but this was scary. But as all mamas do, I put on my mama-face and was there for my son. 

I held him as he cried and whimpered through all of the pokes and prods. I kept whispering to him how much I loved him, how big and strong he is, and how much everything we were doing was to help him feel better. 

He managed to sleep really well Monday night through all of the interruptions. He even held my hand, squeezing it every now and then, all night long. Tuesday morning's visit by the pediatrician verified the pneumonia from a chest X-ray and solidified the fact that the double ear infections, RSV and pneumonia will keep us in the hospital for a few days as he is requiring oxygen right now. 

We are hoping that he will get the rest and medication, as well as lots of snuggles from mama and daddy, that he needs and that we will have our silly, busy, animated, and oh so sweet little boy back to  himself soon. 

Thanks for checking in on us. I will update as things change. 

A sick little guy... 

RA brought RF's favorite toy from home so that he could have a little bit of entertainment.