Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Happy 6th Birthday, Robert Franklin!

It's been said about parenting that the days are long, but the years are short. Each time a birthday rolls around (your 1st, your 2nd, your 3rd, your 4th, and your 5th) I am intensely reminded of this as I see how much you have grown and matured in the year that has passed.

I am the mother of a six year old and I have absolutely no idea how six years has come and gone. Six years since your daddy and I first set eyes on and held our first born son.

This year has been a big one as you are now three months into your first year in big kid school - kindergarten. Our morning rides to school are some of my favorite moments of the day. You enjoy school and bounce out of the car each morning ready to see what the day holds for you.

Your smile and your kind heart shine through every day of the week and not a day goes by that I don't think, 'I'm really glad he's my kid.'

Your love of life gives you loads of energy and you always enjoy sharing your energy and thoughts (if you think it, you say it) with us.

As we roll into this next year I keep thinking about how my role as a parent has shifted in the last six years. From taking care of your every need to stepping back and watching you do things for yourself and realizing that I now have a different role as your mama - one centered upon starting the process of letting you spread your wings and fly, little by little.

I love our conversations and listening to your thoughts. I love your imagination and your wonderment about the world around you.

I'm amazed at your spirited personality and see glimpses daily of the world-changer that you will be.

You are special. You are loved. And you are a complete joy.

Happiest of birthdays to you, RF.

I love you dearly,
Mama

 We're on to the second hand, folks - the big SIX! And you see the beginnings of his birthday mantle in the background - our theme this year is Indiana Jones!