Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happy First Birthday, RF!

Robert Franklin, 

It's been one year. 

365 days since our doctor held up the most precious baby boy, introducing us to our son 

8,760 hours since we made the biggest and most important transition of our lives

525,600 minutes since our world was rocked in every way possible 

31,536,000 seconds since we assumed our new role - as your parents

The past year has been full of good days and not-so-good days, but each and every day we met the sunrise knowing that we were amazingly blessed because you came in to our lives. We realized that each choice we made, action we chose and word we spoke was shaping who you are to become. Each day was a day of firsts and brought with it the opportunity for us to show you all of the good in this world. 

I knew I wanted a low- key first birthday for you, but I also knew I wanted to make as many of the decorations and as much of the food myself as possible, because I knew I would need time to prepare myself for this monumental event in your life. Each moment I spent working on your birthday party I reflected over this past year...the most amazing year of my life. 

My thoughts and reflections...
- the euphoria I felt at 7:08pm the night of October 24 as our gazes met 
- I knew I was meant to be a wife the moment I met your daddy and I knew I was meant to be a mother the moment I met you
- how special our evening routine is - laying down with you as you wind down from the day and drift off to sleep and how you snuggle in to me as you get comfortable in your sleeping position 
- getting to tell you each and everyday how much I love you and how proud I am of you 
- the way you rested your arm over your eyes while you ate while you were an infant 
- your love of the water - the bathtub, Papa Tad and Lola's pool, the water hose 
- the look of wonder and awe as you observe the world around you - always looking, always absorbing, always exploring, and always learning 
- that deep belly laugh you let out when you are playing with your daddy
- that smile - it melts my heart each time I see it 
- the way you wake up in a good mood with a smile on your face 
- the way you push things across the floor - a toy, a Tupperware dish, your tricycle, a chair, or a leaf
- your love of all things that have wheels - your trains, your toy car, your stroller, the buggy at the grocery store
- how you say 'gie' when you see your puppies 
- the way you are content with ordinary items as toys - baskets, plastic spoons, TV remotes, car keys, cardboard boxes, a computer keyboard, and even the broom 
- your complete love of the outdoors - the birds, the plants, the warmth of the sun, your swing, and even the dirt 
- your love of food and your willingness to try new foods 
- how well you travel...knock on wood
- your quickness... no seriously, you move really quickly which has aided your mama greatly in getting back in to shape 
- the way your face lights up when you see yourself in a mirror
- the way you hang out and go with the flow as we run errands and spend time out and about 
- the way you look back at me to make sure I'm serious when I tell you no
- the way you watch your daddy while he stacks your blocks on the floor only to knock them over as soon as he gets the stack at a good height 
- your emphatic squeal as you walk down the hallway being 'chased' by your daddy or I 
- your infatuation with the doggie door 
- that cute little freckle on your left ankle 
- your resilience - from shots at the doctor, from a tumble while walking down the hall, and from being told 'no'
- the way you crawl in to my lap and lay your head on my shoulder now when you are tired and ready to go to sleep 
- the butterflies I get each afternoon when I pick you up from school and the way you stop whatever you're doing, run over to me and lay your head on my shoulder and pat me on the back while saying, "mama...mama...mama" 
- your love of Curious George and all things monkey 
- the pure and unconditional love and joy that you bring out in us 

Thank you for picking us to be your parents, sweet boy. We love you more than you will ever know. 

Happy First Birthday, Robert Franklin. 

Mama and Daddy 




Sent from my iPad