Sunday, March 3, 2019

Catch Up --- New Year, New Challenge --- February 18 - March 3

Well...I managed to get a week behind on our weekly recaps --- #life.

I was out of town last weekend and when I got home on Sunday I was exhausted + realized it was going into an incredibly busy week and I needed to do a good bit of prep work to be ready for the busyness + Ellis came down with pink eye.

So, here's my catch-up on both the 52-week challenge + photos of our past two weeks. Enjoy!

52-Week Blog Challenge --- Week 8 - My Favorite Book

Ever?

To Kill A Mockingbird. Hands down. No contest. I remember reading it in high school for an English class and then again in college and it's one of those books that I will re-read (or listen to - LOVE Audible) every few years. While it was set in the 1930s there are so many themes that transcend time and are central to life.

Currently?

I read Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis last year and fell in LOVE with her. She has a new book coming out this week called Girl, Stop Apologizing and I cannot wait to dive into it. I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction, but also read a fiction book a month or so for a book club that I'm a part of. We just finished The Paris Wife and I really enjoyed it.

52-Week Blog Challenge --- Week 9 - My Favorite Recipe

Recipes and I have a weird relationship. When I find a recipe I like I make it over and over and over and over again. Some weeks we have the same things we had the week before because I get into a groove with the meals that we like and are easy to prep/prepare because we have a pretty strict afternoon/evening routine during the week.

Currently though, RA and I are LOVING this recipe for Southwest Egg Rolls. I make a huge batch (20-30) each weekend, freeze them, and then we eat them throughout the week, sometimes as our meal.

Dessert-wise RA wins the current recipe favorite with this whoopie pie recipe. We had them on our trip to Maine in 2017 and have been making them every few months since. If we are in the mood for something sweet, these are our go-to.

Photos of Our Week

Monday, February 18


Mid-Winter Break afternoon nap snuggles with Ellis and both of the beagles.

Tuesday, February 19

I've been wanting a marble-top table forever and RA finally found one I liked and was in our budget. 

Wednesday, February 20

RF made it through all of the Kindergarten sight words and we are now working on the 1st grade list! Way to go, RF! 

Thursday, February 21

REAL Gulf Coast seafood! A trip to the beautiful Mobile Bay Gulf Coast region for a teacher conference allowed me to grab a bite with family at one of our favorite restaurants - The Original Oyster House and I ordered a big ole' basket of fried crab claws. 

Friday, February 22


During a break at the conference I was attending at The Grand Hotel, I wandered outside to catch a glimpse of beautiful Mobile Bay.

Saturday, February 23

Making silly faces with Toby. Isn't he the absolute cutest???

Sunday, February 24



A Georgia print that RA and I bought last year finally has a handmade frame, thanks to RA, and is prominently displayed in our front living room/library space. 

P.S. While I was in Alabama for my teacher conference RA was in Greenville, South Carolina running a HALF MARATHON! He set a goal to train for and run it and that he did - so proud of you RA! 

Photos of Our Week


Monday, February 25


Home with pink eye...yuck...and getting some snuggles with Gus. 

Tuesday, February 26


When one of them wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes they get into bed with their brother instead of coming to get in our bed. Found them snuggled up together one morning before school. :-)

Wednesday, February 27



RA's current book that he is reading to the boys at night. They love it and are excited to watch the movie when they finish the book. 

Thursday, February 28


I see a southern trend with the random New England cookbook thrown in...

Friday, March 1


Boys and beagles snuggled up for Friday night family movie night! 

Saturday, March 2



Another handmade frame courtesy of RA for the miniature paintings he got me for Christmas. 

Sunday, March 3


The family that works out together stays together, right? RA ran while I did a spin and strength class and the boys hung in the Kid Zone. I have to tell ya - it's a great way to start a new week!

Thanks for checking in on us! We hope you have a great week!