Monday, July 28, 2014

JEH: Week 1 Reflections

No doubt there's a newborn in the house again - we are low on sleep, but high on pure love with our new addition.

JE is fitting right in and we are working to establish a new normal for our family of four.

A few first week reflections…

1. Thank goodness I can drink coffee again. Not only am I needing the caffeine jolt, but it tastes so yummy after not having it since December.

2. The biggest thing I worried about while pregnant with JE was logistics - how to handle two little ones who need me to take care of their needs. Luckily, we have had a great deal of help this last week. But today begins our first days and nights of just the four of us. Praying that I am able to figure all of this 'mama to 2 under 2' thing quickly (and without too many tears - mine and theirs).

3. RF has been watching a little more TV than usual this past week in order for me to try and focus on myself and JE. While this makes the teacher in me cringe, I know it's not the worst thing in the world.

4. RF loves to tell his brother to play with him. This week he's told Ellis, "Throw ball, Ellis", "Blocks, Ellis, and "Watch George (Curious George), Ellis".

5. My recovery has been a breeze - knock on wood that this continues. I am so glad to have my energy level back and to be carrying around less weight in his heat.

6. My house is picked up, but not clean. I'm able to keep up with dishes, laundry and general cleaning most of the time, but don't look too closely - the floors need to be vacuumed and mopped and pretty much every nook and cranny needs to be organized, but we've got time to slowly get all of that done. At some point. Maybe. Right now I'll just sit and stare at my two sweet boys. :-)

7. RF is really adjusting to JE quite well. Although the other night I was feeding Ellis and RA had RF and RF was in a mama-mood. He looked at me and said, "Daddy - Ellis. Mama - Franklin." The boy knows what he wants. We're working to make sure that we both spend quality one-on-one time with RF through this major transition. RA usually handles baths and I handle our bedtime routine. Hopefully things this week will be more normal as it will just be the four of us.

8. JE has two nicknames right now - Early Bird and Frog. "Early Bird" because he decided to arrive early and his last name is Hawk. And "Frog" because when he has the hiccups he sounds like a frog - seriously, the hiccups are super loud and super high pitched. It's the funniest thing.

A week's worth of sweet baby faces...

RF swimming like a fish - this kid LOVES Papa Tad and Lola's pool. 

Lola hosted a "Sip and See" get together for us yesterday at Kitchen on George. 

JE had to spend about 48 hours on a blue light for jaundice. We are so thankful that his bilirubin levels came down into the normal range. Being hooked up to that light made snuggling, feeding, changing diapers and every other newborn activity much more difficult. 

I'm thinking...