Monday, July 22, 2013

Kitchen

It is finally finished. It only took three weeks, but it is finally complete. 

I remember posting on the blog back in December 2010 while we were working on the major renovations after moving in, that I said our biggest project for 2011 would be an overhaul of the kitchen. 

Ha. 

It's seven months into 2013 and we're just getting around to it. 

I guess life (and other more pressing and important house projects) have kept us busy. 

The changes included a new paint color (the Historical Preservation Society's 'Churchill Hotel Maple'), painting the cabinets and drawers white (they were a beige color), up-cycled hardware on all of the cabinets and new electrical coverings. 

BEFORE 

AFTER 




When I was trying to figure out the hardware situation and started looking at Lowe's I realized cabinetry hardware (at least the one's I liked) were pretty expensive. I needed 20 drawer/cabinet pulls and 30 hinges. At $3 each, I was looking at $150 just in hardware. Since it's not something that was a big deal for me, I started brainstorming ways to get around that expense. I have seen so many people post things on Pinterest where they have taken something that was quite ugly (an old vase, picture frame, etc.) and spray paint it. Huh. That's an idea. I checked at Lowe's and found a brushed nickel spray paint that adhered to metal. I lightly sanded the hardware, put two coats of spray paint on them and presto, new cabinetry hardware. 

From this...

To this..

Instead of having walls that are three different colors, now they are all one color --- :-)

From this...                                                                            

 To this...

We do still have to get our window treatments and wall art hung back up, but other than that we're done. And one day I would like to replace the countertops and re-do the floors back to the original hardwood (which is underneath the flooring that is down now), but it's not something that I feel like I have to do right now. Just painting and changing the cabinetry hardware makes it feel like it is a new kitchen to me. 

Our hoosier cabinet. It's one of the very first antique pieces RA and I purchased. While it is not nearly as old as some of our other pieces, it is one of my favorites. My grandparents had one just like it in their house. I can still remember (and smell) the warm, hot cinnamon rolls sitting on a plate on the cool, white, porcelain top.