Friday, July 12, 2013

Even with the best of intentions...

plans don't always get followed and the tasks on to-do lists don't always get checked off in a timely manner.

Enter --- the last two weeks.

My intentions last week and this week were pretty simple - complete two projects.

One project --- re-doing my kitchen was a bit more major than the other project --- making RF's busy board.

Needless to say, two weeks later and I am still working on both. The paint on the next section of my kitchen cabinets is drying as we speak. Let's hope I can at least get the kitchen finished this weekend - it (and my dining room) is a complete disaster.

My kitchen as it has been since we moved in in October 2010. Sad, huh? We have found all sorts of colors as we have worked on it - yellow, green, red, black, off-white and white. 


 Last week, Robert's parents came in town to spend some time with us and help us work on the kitchen. But, unfortunately with bad weather and a 110-year old house (anytime we undertake one project we find three other things that need to be done, too), things weren't able to be completed as quickly as we had wanted. I think over the course of five days we made five trips to Lowe's for supplies...and I'm still working on it.

Mrs. Margie had a great idea to get a window with as many panes as she has grandchildren and to let each grandchild paint a pane - so cute! RF did a great job painting his pane last weekend.

What is this, mama? 

Ok, I see how this works, mama...

Oh yea, this is fun, mama!

Did I do a good job, mama? 

Swinging with Nana and Babu

We did celebrate RF's first Fourth of July, though. We made ribs, mashed potatoes and corn and spent the evening watching a cinema classic (see photo below). We aren't big fireworks people (mainly because of our dogs - they do not like loud noises) and since the weather wasn't ideal we certainly weren't going to make a trip to the water to see them.

RF on the Fourth of July wearing a red, white and blue John-John that RA wore when he was a little boy...

Our movie on the Fourth of July...anyone know what movie it is just by this photo? And yes, my child is laying on a cardboard box... :-)

Vacuuming up all the sheetrock dust in the house...RF isn't scared of the vacuum cleaner, he just wants to have his eyes on it at all times when it is on. 

This week started off quite well, but took a nasty turn on Tuesday afternoon. RF and I spent Monday hanging at home, slowly working on the kitchen and cleaning up the house as the day went  on. Tuesday I had a meeting at the school, so RF hung with Lola until my meeting was over. After picking RF up, we were heading home when we were in a car accident. Luckily, RF's carseat is in the middle of the back seat as the impact was on the passenger side of my car. My airbag deployed, RF was quite upset and to make the situation worse, the driver of the other vehicle fled the scene. Luckily a Good Samaritan was able to get the vehicle's license plate number. After a trip to the pediatrician for RF and the urgent care for me we made it back home and have spent the last two days resting. RF was given the all clear and I have a few minor scrapes and bruises, a banged up thumb and some intense soreness, but we are super thankful that since we were close to home, RA and my dad (his office is just a block from where the accident happened) were able to get to us quickly.

Not fun at all...especially with an 8-month old in the car...

RF checking out the giraffe at the pediatrician's office...

So today is the first day that I have felt like getting anything done and I am working on painting another section of my cabinets while RF spends some time with Lola. As soon as the kitchen is done, I'll post photos. For those of you who have seen my kitchen in person, it's a drastic change and I cannot wait to show you the finished product.