Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Perfect Moment

I'm pretty sure I experienced another (yes, another) perfect moment last night with RF.

The Back Story:
For about a month now, RF has been experiencing a bit of a sleep interruption/regression/craziness thing. I have attributed it to everything possible...teething, growth spurt, increased brain activity (remember how you feel the night before a big trip or your wedding, you just can't turn your brain off - that's what 3-4 month olds are experiencing...more advanced cognitive development which can lead to sleep interruptions), the fact that he is more mobile now and can move about which could lead to some muscle fatigue at night - all sorts of things I have read* that babies in this age are experiencing.

*Disclaimer - No I don't believe everything I read on the internet...we have RF's 4 month dr. appt. this Thursday and my list of questions is growing longer by the day.

We have a bedtime routine - we kiss daddy goodnight, we go upstairs to RF's nursery, turn out the lights and turn on the lamp, we eat a small bottle, we rock and we read and then as he drifts off to sleep I tell him that I love him and that I'm proud of him before laying him down in his bed.

Perfect Moment:
Last night RF ate, we read and rocked and instead of getting drowsy and drifting right off to sleep he was a little squirmy, so I stood him up on my lap. As I did, he looked me square in the eyes, took both of his hands and put them on my cheeks, pulled himself in toward me and began to coo. He stayed like that for about a minute and a half - just holding my face, cooing, sighing and breathing. He was completely still, completely calm and completely perfect.

It was one of the most amazing moments - it was as though he was telling me thank you. Thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for being my mom. Always and forever, baby boy...always and forever.

3 Weeks Old...