Sunday, January 26, 2020

Spinning 2,020 miles in 2020!

I've never been a big New Years Resolution setting person, but in the past few years I've been better about setting goals for myself. Some are pretty simple and as I've done them consistently they've become habits that are pretty much just a normal part of my life.

Exercise though has always been a struggle - finding the time to do it, finding an exercise program that I actually liked, staying consistent, etc. Through a few different issues last fall, I came to the realization that it was something that I had to do and I had to do it now - it was a non-negotiable. So I made myself prioritize going to the gym five days a week. I gave myself two off days, but five days a week I would do a 45-minute workout. I started going back to spin classes and fell back in love with the chance to zone out for 45 minutes, sweat a whole bunch, and listen to some great music. Our local YMCA has spin or spin and strength classes six days a week, so it was perfect for my five day a week goal.

By the end of 2019 I was feeling much better physically (I had dropped just under 20 lbs) and mentally. As 2020 arrived I knew that I needed to set some goals to continue pushing myself and prioritizing working out. And thus the goal of 2,020 miles in 2020 was decided. It averages to about 170 miles a month which is do-able. So, this month I pushed myself and made it to 150 miles today!

I found a FitBit watch that I wanted earlier this month and decided that I'd get it when I reached 150 miles - got it today - whoop whoop!

Some days I do a full spin class and some days I do spin and strength where we spin for a few songs and then do a weight routine for a song, so I end up spinning a few less miles in those classes but the weight routine has really helped me tone up my arms and core.

Some of the days with a 0 were 0 miles spinning, but I still worked out. When I can't get to the gym I've been doing a 45-minute weight routine at home. 

I still have a ways to go to meet my weight goal, but I've lost 30 pounds and most importantly I feel better, not perfect all day everyday, but better. I've cleaned up my eating as well (for the most part...some days you just need a milkshake, right?) and I think that along with the exercise has helped me realize that I have to put my health (physical and mental) high on the priority list.

This year is going to be a great one and pushing myself to spin over 2,000 miles is going to be a big part of that. It won't be easy. And some days I won't want to go, but the pros compmletely outweigh the cons.

So cheers to 2020 - a year of spinning my way towards a big goal and accomplishing lots of smaller goals along the way!