Saturday, July 31, 2010

THE Week

Well, THE week came and went. There were moments of complete breakdown and moments of complete peace, but at last it is OVER.

I am of course speaking about the Alabama Bar Exam. As if three tortuous years of law school is not enough to be a member of this profession, JUST graduated law school students must further continue their stress by preparing for and taking the Bar Exam. THE week began last Sunday (July 25)...here is a short version of what the week entailed.

Sunday, July 25 - Drive to Montgomery. After a run-around dealing with broken room key making machines and the realization that I had left all of our credit cards in Mobile, we finally get settled and Mr. Hawk is able to get in the zone for tomorrow - Day One of THE test.

Monday, July 26 - Short day of testing - only four hours. I spent the day in the hotel room (pictures looking out over downtown Montgomery as well as sunrise - yes we were up that early - and sunset are below) and we put in an official counter-offer on the home with which we have fallen in love.

Tuesday, July 27 - Long day of testing - eight hours. Again, I spent the day in the hotel room working on ideas and plans for the upcoming school year.

Wednesday, July 28 - Another long day of testing - eight hours, after which we drove home.

I will say that I felt honored for Robert to have wanted me to accompany him to Montgomery for these three days. I assumed that the stress level would be unbearable and he would want absolutely no distractions, thus I would stay at home in Mobile. But I walked him down to the testing room before each session and was waiting for him at the end of each session. I am glad that I had the oppotunity to be supportive of my wonderful husband.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday have been super busy as I have been working, trying to understand all the legal mumbo-jumbo involved in buying our home (I feel like I know more about buying and selling a house now that we are buying our second one - I've done this once before, but I am still quite confused most of the time) and missing my dogs - they have been at Grandma and Grandpa's since July 18th.

Robert has one last portion (the professional ethics section) of the Bar Exam to take next Friday, August 6th and then we will be able to focus our attention on the other important events of our lives.

With our lives whirling around us at the speed of light, I am continuing to focus on keeping a positive attitude and a peaceful state of mind - long deep breaths have been helping too. :-)

Sunset, Sunrise and A Beautiful Clear Day in Montgomery, AL