Saturday, July 10, 2010

Summer in Mobile

So far this summer, we have been quite reclusive. Robert is busy all day every day studying for the bar (he takes it July 26-28) and I have been working (back at Ware Jewelers) to keep myself busy. The dogs are enjoying being in the air conditioning as it is consistently 95+ degrees with 100% humidity and we are beginning our house hunt.

Three things have been keeping me busy in my spare time - JAG, the TV show, reading and cooking.

I have become addicted to JAG. Robert and I have been NCIS fans since the first season. Since NCIS is a spin-off of sorts from JAG we decided to give it a go and I now finding myself watching two or three episodes at a time.

Reading has been a guilty pleasure of mine for a while, but since I got a new library card (the public library is 2 blocks from our apartment) I have been keeping myself busy reading. First I stumbled across Tori Spelling's book Mommywood. Definitely not a book I thought I would even consider reading, but as I read I saw some parallels between her life and mine - not the rich, famous celebrity part, but more the rocky relationship with her mom and the heart felt desire to have babies and raise them to be intelligent, well-rounded people - a desire I am sure most moms and dads have. Then I picked up the 50 Greatest Love Letters of All Time. This one again was quite odd for me, but I read it more from the perspective of how relationships have changed (yet stayed the same) over the 100s of years that some of the letters were written. I am currently reading The History of Barton Academy. Barton Academy is the oldest public school it the state of Alabama and is currently in desperate need of repair as it is literally crumbling away. Next up on my reading list is Stones Into Schools by Greg Mortenson (author of Three Cups of Tea - an AMAZING book) and Back Home: Journeys through Mobile - a collection of different perspectives on the things that make the city of Mobile so unique and the events in the history of the city that have defined those of us who call it home.

Cooking. Ok, those who know me, know that I try - I really do and I am ok at it, I am just not great at it. First up was two pies - chocolate chip cookie pie and peanut butter pie. Both turned out really good. Then it was time to try my hand at sausage balls - again, turned out great. Today was homemade potato salad - which I am sure is hard to mess up, but as the other attempts, turned out well. Next up is chicken and dumplings...as this is the first major entree that I am trying my hand at doing 100% from scratch, we will have to keep our fingers crossed.